When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breath, to think, to enjoy, to love.
- Marcus Aurelius
Gratitude is a gem that's been instilled into humanity's psyche to be passed down between generations to remind us that we have the path to happiness. Right now. Staring at you in the face. You read that right.
Think to the last time you practiced gratitude for, say for a meal or a bunch of flowers. Didn't you enjoy the meal and the company you kept during the meal? Didn't you also feel a warmth for receiving the flowers and continue to appreciate the flowers whenever you rested your eyes on them after? And didn't you also feel good through all of this? Exactly.
Feeling thankful allows us to be happy for where we are and what we have, in every moment. We learn to appreciate how fantastic, exciting and amazing life is. Once you practice gratitude every day, life starts to flow smoothly, as if you've caught the slipstream's current. You start coasting and allowing everything to just happen. Relationships will be transformed. Your satisfaction levels will skyrocket. You'll find yourself focusing more on the good and your health will probably improve...a very good side effect. Yes, gratitude is a gift that keeps giving.
So how do you start practicing gratitude?
- Wake up every morning and think out loud "Thank you, Universe".
- Turn every little niggle into a positive, such as "Thank you for bringing me this interesting conundrum to solve today."
- Make a weekly gratitude list, say 3-5 things each week to be thankful for.
- Talk to someone who you feel made a difference in your life and tell them what they did that made you feel thankful. Fully express your appreciation of them and their actions. Outside your comfort zone? You can also do this exercise as a letter.
- Wanna go real gung-ho? Then do the 30 Day Gratitude Challenge.
Yes, gratitude is one of the keys to happiness and well-being. A very significant one!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend...till next time.